Library Cards for Children
Library cards are issued to any children that are a resident of Hebron and have reached the age of five. A parent or guardian must accompany the child into the library to register.
Our story times are held for children between the ages of two and five. Each session is six weeks in length with a two week break in between. Pre-registration is required for each session, as class size is limited, with a waiting list for the next session when registration is full. Parents or caregivers must come in to the library to register. Parents and caregivers are encouraged to interact with the child for these storytime sessions in order to encourage a positive reading experience.
There are two classes in each session for two and three year olds and one class for four and five year olds. Our younger groups meet on Tuesday morning at 10 AM or Thursday morning at 10 AM. The older group meets on Tuesday afternoon at 1 PM. Each class is approximately 45 minutes long and includes age appropriate stories, finger plays, puppets, interactive songs and a craft.
There are no storytime sessions during our summer reading program as we include pre-readers as well as readers. If storytime is cancelled for any reason including holidays or inclement weather, no make-up classes will be scheduled.
Borrowing Library Materials
A valid library card from your town of residence is required to borrow materials. Books, magazines (newest copies do not circulate) and audio books are checked out for two weeks. A $.10 per day/per item late charge is applied daily, seven days a week. CD’s can be borrowed for two weeks, videos are seven days with a $1.00 per day late charge. DVD’s are checked out for three days with a $2.00 per day late charge applied daily, seven days a week. There is a limit of 4 DVD’s per family. Patrons may not check out any materials if they have a fine balance of $5.00 or more. The above loan periods and fines apply to all patrons of the Douglas Library.
If you would like a book or magazine, which the Douglas Library does not have in its collection, or which is currently unavailable, we will do an Interlibrary Loan. For more details, please ask at the service desks on either floor.
The library has full access to the Internet. Word processing and scanning are also available. Please check in at the desk before computer use. Parents of children under twelve must supervise their child’s internet use.
· Beardsley Zoo – Bridgeport (admits 2 adults & 4 children)
· Children’s Museum – West Hartford (admits 1 free with 1 paid
admission up to 4/day)
Children’s Museum of SE CT – Niantic (1/2 price per family)
· Connecticut Historical Society – Hartford (admits 1 family)
· Connecticut Old State House – Hartford (admits 2 adults & 2 children)
Custom House Maritime Museum – New London (admits 2 free)
· Denison Pequotsepos Nature Center – Mystic (admits 1 family)
· Florence Griswold Museum – Old Lyme (admits 2 adults & 2 children)
· Harriet Beecher Stowe Center – Hartford (admits 2 people)
· Hill-Stead Museum – Farmington (admits 2 adults & 2 children)
Imagine Nation Museum – Bristol (admits a family of 4)
· Lutz Children’s Museum – Manchester (admits 1 family)
* Maritime Aquarium at Norwalk ($2 off combination ticket-admits 6 people)
· Mark Twain House – Hartford (admits 1 adult or 2 children with 1 paid adult)
· Mystic Aquarium (discount rate for 2 adults & 2 children)
· Mystic Seaport (admits 2 adults & 2 children @ 50% discount)
· New Britain Museum of American Art (admits 4 people)
· New England Air Museum – Windsor Locks (admits 2 adults @ $5 each & 2 children free)
· Noah Webster House – West Hartford (admits 4 people)
· Peabody Museum – Yale ($5 off for up to 4 people)
Roger Williams Park Zoo – Rhode Island ($3 off for up to 4 people)
· State Park and Forest Day Pass – Connecticut (free parking or admission fee for 1 family)
· Wadsworth Athenaeum Museum of Art (admits 2 adults & 2 children)
¨ We no longer reserve passes. All passes will be available on a first-come-first-serve basis.
¨ Passes will circulate for three days (72 hours from the time the pass is checked out).
(Late fee $10.00 per day).
¨ Only one pass per family is allowed at any given time. Maximum of two passes per family per week.
¨ Passes must be returned inside the library or in the DVD drop.
Patron is responsible for the full replacement value for lost or damaged passes